Campaign against Bogus Workmen
From Monday 21st May to Monday 28th May 2018. Police Scotland, in collaboration with their partners, are campaigning to raise awareness surrounding Bogus Workman and Rogue Traders within the West Dunbartonshire area.
Together, we are making an effort in order to reduce the effect caused towards people who find themselves victims to bogus workmen. Statistics show that many of the victims of bogus workmen are vulnerable members of our community.
This campaign will include joint initiatives between Police, Trading Standards, SEPA and the Department of Work and Pensions where we intend to challenge these operators whilst providing re-assurance and advice to the community.
Over the years, bogus workmen have left many victims feeling vulnerable and afraid, with damaged properties and often out of pocket by hundreds and sometimes thousands of pounds. This should not be accepted within our communities.
Bogus workman come in various guises and use a number of tactics to try and enter your premises. Remember, it is your hard earned money that they are after.
1. Be on your guard if someone turns up unexpectedly
2. Be aware of distraction methods used i.e. use your toilet, etc.
3. Don’t keep large amounts of money within the home
4. Does your property really require the work to be carried out?
5. Be vigilant for vulnerable neighbours who may fall foul
1. Use a door chain or bar when opening a door
2. Check to see who is at the door either through the viewfinder or window
3. Keep rear, side doors and windows secure
4. Don’t be embarrassed. Genuine callers expect you to be careful
1. Always ask for ID
2. ID’s and uniforms can be faked. If you are still unsure, call the represented company
3. Ask a friend or neighbour for assistance, if required
4. Obtain a written quote before agreeing to any contracts
5. Don’t fall for the hard sell. Take a bit of time to think about what is being offered
Remember, if it is too good to be true, It probably is.
We would appeal to you that, in the event that you suspect or become aware of individuals being involved as bogus workmen or rogue trader, that you contact us with any known details.
You can do this by contacting Police Scotland on 101 or if you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 1111. The information you provide may prevent bogus workmen from operating in this area and in doing so, you will have played a major part in protecting local businesses and other consumers within your community.
Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.